Sunday 23 September 2007

Meet "The Wives"

written by geek wife.

Right, this my first entry. I would like you to get to know a little bit about 'us' (so called the fundamentalist wives).

So... what in earth anyway the term 'fundamentalist' means?
Well, here you goes....

Fundamentalism is a movement in 20th century Protestantism emphasizing the literally interpreted Bible as fundamental to Christian life and teaching.

(The Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary)

Fundamentalism is a usually religious movement or point of view characterized by a return to fundamental principles, by rigid adherence to those principles, and often by intolerance of other views and opposition to secularism.
(The American Heritage Dictionary)

So... there you go, as plain that it said that we are a bunch for christian with non compromising bible principles. Now enough on looking on wikipedia or dictionary. I would like you to meet the writer. This blog is written by a group of women, not only one, therefore the entry may not be in cronological order. And obviously, one of the editor would be me (my nick will be 'geek wife' as I am the technical person here... sort of becoming person TO computer INTERFACE) while the main contributor will be 'country mama'. I may bring up more bloggers as we are coming along.

Right, a little bit about me. I am saved back in 1995 as a 15-year-old high school girl in small village in Indonesia. Back then, I only know not more than 'I am a condemn sinner who in desperate needs of forgiveness'. I would say that I am not a very well grounded christian at that time even though I went to church pretty often (like twice or thrice a week), I try not to miss any message from the preacher. But hey, I still can't say it is wrong (even when I didn't do it) to dance, social drinking, gambling on lotto, hang out in night clubs, swearing, reading horoscope, have pierce and tatto all over the places, not tithing, agreeing on gay/lesbian relationship, and wearing a skirt that hardly hide your underwear??? I thought I am just an open-minded christian, that's it...!!! Until one day, I visit a baptist church in North Jakarta. It has turn my life around. I found the reason to believe that Bible is the Word of God, and all our live principles can be observed from it.

Now move on, I landed in UK two years ago. I was still in shock when I discovered that looking for fundamentalist church in England is like looking for a diamond in a pile of hay. Sadly, so called 'Christian country' like England has compromise way too much with the world. Many of the pastor is not a local pastor, and support still come from overseas (mostly states) because the church (because of small congregation size) can't afford to pay the pastor salary yet, how sad. Science become the religion of the country, often I found church full of old folks, immigrant or lower income people. One time I overheard a person chatted in a bus, he said 'American christian (on a hint on fundamentalist) are narrow minded people'. Well, I tempted to confronted that guy on the bus and say HEY, I am a fundamentalist christian, and I am holding a computer engineering bachelor degree, my husband is a bio-physics PhD in Oxford university, my parents are both physician. If you think I am narrow minded, you better look who is stupid here.

I guess it is the matter of a heart, nothing to do with liberal/narrow minded, high/low IQ. Human is a religious being, that's what God meant us to be. So if you took out God from their lives, they will go and try worship other thing. Mostly money, job, science or themselves. So who you are whorshipping today?

No comments: